Friday - August 18th, 2017

Ross Barkley: Everton midfielder could stay at club, says Ronald Koeman


Everton boss Ronald Koeman says there have been no offers for Ross Barkley and has not ruled out the midfielder staying at the club.

The 23-year-old has one year left on his contract but has failed to sign a new deal.

Koeman said last month Everton "100%" expected the England international to leave but the Toffees boss now appears to have softened his stance.

"If there's no interest he will be part of the team," said Koeman.

"He is training with Everton, he is part of the team and training in a good way."

Barkley came through the youth system at Everton and has played 150 times for the club in the Premier League, scoring 21 times, since making his debut six years ago.

Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham have all been linked with the player, who recently returned to training after missing most of pre-season training with a groin injury.

Everton want around £50m for Barkley but that figure could fall before the transfer window closes on 31 August as he would be a free agent in 12 months' time.

Find all the latest football transfers on our dedicated page.

Related articles ALL ARTICLES
Praesent lectus orci

Koeman opens door for Rooney to join Everton

Everton manager Ronald Koeman has surprisingly opened the door to a potential shock return to the club for Manchester United captain Wayne Rooney. The 31-year-old left Merseyside in 2004 for Old...

Praesent lectus orci

Everton 2-0 West Ham

When Ronald Koeman was speaking admiringly about Wayne Rooney at the end of last week, it was hard not to consider the case of Ross Barkley.  Why would the Everton manager discuss the merits of...